Friday, July 1, 2011

I'm here, I'm here!!!





Back when I was in school, I was the dipstick who always waited until the last possible moment to do my term papers. I mail my bills the day they come due, crossing my fingers and naively believing that every institution has a "grace period." I fill my prescriptions the day after I run out. Well, are you getting the picture? I'm a procrastinator of the highest order. I've elevated it to an art form. I figure if I miss out on something because of my procrastination, it clearly wasn't worth having anyway.

So what does my late ass do? I go and join this online organization called TheDaringKitchen.com. Ordinary home cooks and bakers like you and me sign up and receive a monthly assignment to either bake (Daring Bakers) or cook (Daring Cooks) something. Everyone in their category is assigned the same thing at the same time. You bake or cook that month's assignment, you blog about it, take photos, etc., and share with the rest of the community.

Sounds like great fun!

Of course, my very first assignment -- baklava with homemade phyllo dough -- is already botched, because life got in the way a bit this month, what with a vacation, being sick, being lazy, whatever. I was supposed to finish it up by the last day of the month, and well, here I am. It's the first of the month and a new assignment will be posted very soon if it hasn't already.

Erica of Erica’s Edibles was our host for the Daring Baker’s June challenge. Erica challenged us to be truly DARING by making homemade phyllo dough and then to use that homemade dough to make Baklava.

As a show of good faith and intentions, I did half the project tonight, the last night of the month, albeit the easy half... I made the dough, the filling and the syrup (pictured above). Tomorrow night I'll finish up, rolling out the endless layers of phyllo, baking it and soaking it in syrup.

July will be different, i swear on my Braun immersive blender that I will never be late again! Ummm... There **is** a grace period, isn't there?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment